Target Management Faces Conduct Charges after End Cap Display Promotes Drinking

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

by Irma Pelt
Senior Staff Writer

The management team of a Target store in Millbury, Massachusetts faces conduct charges related to an end cap display believed to promote irresponsible drinking behaviors. The display featured plastic cups, table tennis balls, and a folding table.

Reisman College issued the conduct meeting request after several students were caught in their dorm playing beer pong.

“According to the students, they found all of the necessary items for playing at their local Target in a display labeled ‘college essentials,’” said Chelsea Genrich, director of student conduct at Reisman. “When we were presented with that compelling argument, including the photographic evidence, it became obvious that our students were lured into the purchase and Target management is really the group who demonstrated poor judgment.”

Genrich explained that students are made aware during orientation that the campus is dry, but she believes students may be confused by Target’s bright signage and strategic placement of the display.

“The supplies were right next to a display of mini-fridges and shower caddies. Target management was irresponsible and intentionally misleading,” said Genrich. “Two years ago, university and government officials in Wisconsin took action against Walgreens in a similar case, but I feel I am the best person to pass judgement in this case.”

Kyle Gursley, manager of the Millbury Target, denied any wrong doing.

“Despite complaints that we are in direction violation of the goals of higher education, we believe in creating an environment where students can make informed decisions for themselves. We did not force students to purchase these goods,” Gursley wrote in an official statement.

But Genrich disagreed.

“Our students can’t make decisions. That’s just plain stupid.”

In related a story, Reisman is also bringing conduct charges against the manufacturer of an open-coil hot pot believed to be responsible for a dorm fire that damaged three living spaces and caused 1.7 million dollars in damages after a student left it on for 23 hours to make her grandmother’s chicken and dumplings recipe.